Custom orthotics are small inserts designed to be placed in your shoes.
Orthotics are custom-tailored to your feet in order to help correct any foot issues or imbalance problems you have. They are designed to align your feet and ankles into proper anatomical positions.
Custom orthotics work for patients’ feet much the same way glasses help your eyes. They help to reduce foot pain and strain on your whole body by properly aligning your feet.
Who Can Benefit From Custom Orthotics?
Many people who suffer from foot issues can gain benefits from using custom orthotics. There are many symptoms that result from poor foot mechanics. Some symptoms may include bunions, hammer toes, foot pain, arch/heel pain, hip pain, back pain, leg/knee pain and even some neck pain. If you have any of these issues, your doctor may prescribe you a set of custom orthotics. These will help correct your foot problems and help ease some or all of the associated symptoms.
Should Custom Orthotics Be Worn All Of The Time?
The more you wear your custom orthotics, the more benefits you will receive from them. If your daily activities require you to change your footwear numerous times, consider having more than one pair of orthotics designed for you. They can be worn in sneakers, loafers, casual heels, and most other closed-toed shoes.
Your orthotics may take some time to get used to because they are working to realign the structure of your feet. Some pressure may be noticed in certain areas. Because of this, your doctor may recommend you wear them for short amounts of time to begin, and work your way up to wearing them full-time once you have adjusted.
Benefits Of Using Custom Orthotics
Custom orthotics are created to fit inside of your shoes as comfortably as insoles. The body of the custom orthotics helps to realign your feet by reducing and redirecting certain motions that take place during your gait cycle.
Your feet are the foundation for your entire body. Issues such as low/high arches, neuromas, plantar fasciitis, and other foot issues can result in pain and suffering in other areas of your body beyond your feet. It is very common for mysterious hip pain, knee pain, lower back pain, and leg pain to come from foot issues. Orthotics designed specifically for your feet can provide the relief you are looking for. Below are some top benefits of having custom orthotics made for you instead of purchasing over-the-counter inserts.:
- Enhanced Foot Support – Each of your feet have more than 100 muscles and 26 bones. This makes them one of the more complex parts of the body, and they deserve to be taken care of. After all, the feet have to support the entire weight of the body. Custom orthotics support all three of the foot’s anatomical arches for a solid foundation.
- Comfort – Compared to over-the-counter options, custom orthotics are more comfortable. This is due to orthotics being crafted to accommodate unique foot structures. Wearing them every day will offer you the ability to stand and walk more comfortably.
- Less Pain – Custom-created orthotics add support and cushioning to your shoes. It also helps to address your specific foot problems. Clinical studies have shown custom orthotics can help improve gait and whole-body function and reduce pain. Many times, custom orthotics are a conservative treatment for foot, leg, and lower back problems that will lessen the need for surgery.
- Corrected Pronation – When your arches allow your ankle to fall towards your body’s midline, it is called pronation. This issue causes an increase in stress on your feet, hips, knees, and lower back. Pronation can make you more susceptible to knee injuries while exercising and playing sports. Custom orthotics will give you the arch support you need to relieve pressure on your joints.
- Corrected Supination – Arches that are too high cause supination. This means your ankles lean away from the body’s midline. Just as with pronation, supination will put extra stress on your feet, hips, knees, and lower back. If one of your arches are higher than the other, the problems caused can be much worse and place your body off balance. Custom orthotics can treat each foot’s issues separately. Inserts bought through retail stores cannot offer the same benefit.
- Better Athletic Performance – When your body is not properly aligned, it can have a significant effect on your ability to perform well athletically. Not only will custom orthotics help you perform better, but they will also help reduce your risk of getting injured. The orthotics can help wearers keep a better body position and be able to balance easier and jump higher.