Learn more about chronic ankle instability and its symptoms and treatment options.
Chronic ankle instability is a frequent, sudden collapse of your ankle. This condition usually develops after many ankle sprains that did not heal properly, which affects your ankle’s ability to balance.
- Chronic ankle instability is common in athletes
- The condition often feels like your ankle is “giving way”
CONTACT US TODAY
In addition to the ankle regularly giving way, symptoms include:
- Chronic discomfort
- Regular swelling
- Wobbly, unstable feeling
Treatments are necessary to restore balance and include:
- Physical therapy can help you to regain strength and retrain muscles
- Bracing provides support and keeps the ankle from turning
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can reduce inflammation and pain
- Surgery may be used to reconstruct the ligaments